Friday, October 10, 2008

Blog 5 - A random smattering of thoughts

Interesting times these days watching the markets slip, I am especially enjoying the coverage of the various CEO and executive staff of the now failed investment and insurance companies testifying in front of the congressional oversight committee. I certainly don’t claim to understand it all, but I stand amazed at the compensation packages that seemed continue right on until bankruptcy. I guess I missed that boat though. The not so entertaining bit is that with the falling dollar, so goes my spending power, so far we have gone from 24:1 to 21:1, but it has only been a month and a half!
In a lot of ways I feel like I am in the best of company for not having a lot of money though. Unfortunately at some point I will have to hatch a plan for continued employment in moving forward.
For now I suppose I will just keep on keeping on. Having just about completed the repairs to the first broken Tempest (the valves coming by boat from Cambodia didn’t help things) it seemed fitting that a second machine would snap its rubber track, and be left waiting for the new sprocket and track set due here in four weeks time. For now we play the part swapping game with plans to deploy the first in the seconds place sometime over the weekend. My main focus of late has been working on a new inventory system which will hopefully see the stocking of such spares in a more pro-active fashion, it remains to be seen if we will have the capital to pull this off but following a recent long range planning meeting with the National Demining Institute it seems we are here for at least another 5 and therefore should be making plans and acquisitions accordingly.
All this inventorying has provided some uptake of some additional Portuguese, and I can now make my way around the workshop in a half useful fashion!
Last weekend I participated in a trip organized by the students of Inhambane’s Tourism University. It was actually their long term project, and I would say it went well all things considered. As with most things here the challenge lay in getting to the destination, which ment two sailboats trips with a half hour chapa ride down the highway mixed in. The destination was the peninsula of Linga Linga which is just north of Inhambane and is formed by a large lagoon/mangrove forest on the inside. I may have to make a return visit to this idyllic location on account of the lagoon being home to both dolphins, sea horses and dugongs but the visibility is terrible except at slack tide, which I was not around to observe. Another day I suppose.
Last couple days have seen some weather rolling through causing frequent power cuts and resulting in more showering from bucket. My recent re-discovery of cream cheese and tomato sandwiches has largely offset this recent hardship though. Both pedals have now broken on my bicycle aka “the Chinese wonder” on account of how wonderful it looks, and wondering why it doesn’t work near as well. Clearly not best 3000 mets I have spent, but with two steel posts for pedals I have feeling that I have a little more street cred as I roll around town. If I can just find a chicken, or other assorted livestock to affix to it I am pretty sure I would be indistinguishable.

3 comments:

Greg Rideout said...

We should sail the BYC Logical over and start a luxury cruise business, have to change the keel set-up though, I suspect.

Two weeks till haul out...

Tuesday its back to school 4 days a week....francais for real at a school downtown although I would probably learn much quicker in a former french colony.

try to catch a chicken this weekend and pretend its turkey.
Cheers my friend

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hope you are having a wonderful day.
It's a bright sunny day in SW Ontario much like it was last year.
(We won't have many days like this again this year.

Betty sent this little story ...

A game warden was driving down the road when he came upon a young boy
carrying a wild turkey under his arm.

He stopped and asked the boy, 'Where did you get that turkey?'

The boy replied, 'What turkey?'

The game warden said, 'That turkey you're carrying under your arm.'

The boy looks down and said, 'Well, lookee here, a turkey done roosted under
my arm!'

The game warden said, 'Now look, you know turkey season is closed, so
whatever you do to that turkey, I'm going to do to you.

If you break his leg, I'm gonna break your leg. If you break his wing, I'll
break your arm. Whatever you do to him, I'll do to you. So, what are you
gonna do with him?'

The little boy said, 'I guess I'll just kiss his butt and let him go!'

Anonymous said...

Nathan,

Looks like a totally different life in Mozambique. The landscape looks much like southern Sudan where our organization, Canadian Economic Development Assistance to Southern Sudan [CEDASS is working. Have you run into any cobras or mambas yet?

I saw the other day that your organization is hiring a finanical perosn in Toronto.

Keep safe.

Uncle Rick & Aunt Yvonne.